Monday, March 16, 2009

Sleepy

At my doctor’s request I had a sleep study done last night. It went kind of fast. I showed up at the hospital at 8:45, was directed up stairs to the lab. When I finally found the nurse she told me to change into my sleep clothes then meet her in the room across the hall. I did then she told me to sit in the chair and she proceeded to hook me up to all different kinds of things. Before she could do that she measured my head and marked it with a pen, which felt as if she were permanently etching into my scalp. I get all hooked up then she tucked me into bed. Literally. She had to hook all the wires up and told me not to move.

She explained that there was a camera mounted on the wall that would record all of my sleeping. That the wires all hooked to me would let her know when I was asleep, which side I slept on and when I dreamt.

I was anything but relaxed.

So I laid there and waited to fall asleep. And waited. Then my head got sore from the electrodes. Then the heat kicked on and I started to get hot. It was then that I realized the water I brought was on the other side of the room and out of reach. Then I rolled over. Then I rolled to the other side. Then I feel asleep. That lasted about half an hour. It really was the worst nights sleep I have gotten since the kids stopped waking me up at all hours for diaper changes and bottles. I’m not real sure how they can do an accurate study when you can’t sleep. I remember being jolted awake a couple of times in the night but I don’t remember why.

Today I am tired. Its all I can do not to fall asleep at my desk. My head hurts really badly from those things I had to sleep on. My neck hurts. I want a nap.

1 comment:

Wanderer said...

Hi Bev,

Well that experience sucked. I'm glad you only have to do it once. I would have just found it weird to be sleeping in a hospital without all the electrodes. Of course you're going to be uncomfortable! But it will be good to know the results of the study. I know sleep is vital to everyone's health. It's so important that one of the medications I take for psychosis includes something that helps me get to sleep each night. Lack of sleep and stress can really reek havoc on your body.

I hope you get a good night sleep tonight!

Kate